Vacancy – Reserves Manager (Western & Central Northland)
Are you someone who is passionate about the restoration of the natural environment for indigenous flora and fauna and is capable of leading restoration work plans and programmes?
The Native Forest Restoration Trust is offering a renewable one year contract covering its Western & Central Northland reserves. It is anticipated that the role will require up to 32 hours per week pro rata.
The focus of the Reserve Manager position is planning and prioritising operational program delivery across reserves. The position supervises contractors and volunteers as well as managing external relationships with Iwi, Local and Regional Councils, the Department of Conservation, QEII National Trust, local community groups and neighbours.
The role is based in Northland. Due to the remoteness of some locations and difficult to access areas, it is advisable that the successful applicant has a degree of physical fitness.
Main responsibilities include:
- Preparing annual work plans and budgets for each reserve.
- Overseeing the implementation of work plans for each reserve including co-ordinating contractors and volunteers and monitoring work done.
- Identifying reserve management funding and support opportunities and submitting funding applications to supplement reserve budgets.
- Complying with the Trust’s Health and Safety Policy to ensure their own safety and the safety of others.
- Maintaining Hazard Lists and H&S Plans for each reserve and updating as required.
Ideally the successful applicant will have:
- A relevant tertiary qualification and/or extensive experience in reserve management or biodiversity conservation.
- A passion for restoration and conservation with a good knowledge of New Zealand weed and native plant species.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills.
- Ability to be self-motivating and capable of working safely alone.
- Positive interpersonal skills and the ability to work with opinion leaders, officials and people in the community.
- Good written and spoken communication skills and political judgement.
- Skills in managing contractors and running work programmes.
- Experience of delivering annual work plans on time and within budget.
- Knowledge and experience of funding and project management.
- A current Growsafe Standard Certificate or equivalent.
- Ability to use Geographical Information Systems (GIS) software to develop, manage, query and display spatial data relevant to reserve management plans (not essential but highly regarded).
- Current New Zealand firearms licence
- Current full NZ drivers licence
- NZ work permit
The position will commence in November 2023. Remuneration will be commensurate with the successful applicant’s qualifications and experience for this role. The role may be expanded as further reserves are added to the Trust’s portfolio.
For further information or to register your interest and receive a copy of the job description, please email firstname.lastname@example.org subject line “Vacancy Northland Reserves Manager”.
Applications must include a cover letter, CV (including the names of two referees) and evidence of the required capabilities as per the job description. Please email your final application to Sandy Crichton, CEO: email@example.com
For further information about the Native Forest Restoration Trust: https://www.nfrt.org.nz/
Applications close when a suitable candidate has been recruited.