Mapui, 30km south of Te Kuiti, on western side of SH 4 300m south of Omaru Road, close to Omaru Scenic Reserve and waterfall.
A total of 5.87 hectares, there is an existing lowland kahikatea remnant of 4 ha with some restoration planting. The Mapui Stream forms the western and southern boundaries.
Flora and fauna
Kahikatea, matai and related species. The area of planting has well-established flax, together with totara, pittosporum and cabbage trees.
Purchased from the Wallis family in September 2002. Opened on 16th November 2002 by Sir Paul Reeves, Chair, QEII National Trust, in the presence of members of Ross Bishop’s family.
Grant of $10,000 from Environment Waikato and the balance from NFRT supporters.
Prolonged and extensive weed eradication to remove large amounts of privet. Planting of 1200 trees to fill in an area formerly invested with blackberry. Additional fencing.